Vice President for Philanthropic Giving
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Vice President for Philanthropic Giving is responsible for leading and managing the foundation development plan and recruiting and managing team members who will identify, cultivate, and secure new donors, engage existing donors, formulate plans to increase community philanthropic partnerships (professional advisors), advance a comprehensive planned giving program, and ensure the facilitation of all gifts. This senior management position reports to the President & CEO and is responsible for leading Development and Marketing.
Strategic Leadership |Technical Ability |Training/Presenting Information | Results Focus & Initiative | Relationship Building
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads efforts to create an annual asset development plan and strategies in support of the Community Foundation’s strategic plan and goals.
- Hires, trains and leads development team (4 FTE’s) and marketing department (1 FTE).
- Leads, manages and directs efforts to maintain an active program with professional advisors to increase referrals.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to deliver presentations to boards, nonprofits, professional and civic organizations regarding Community Foundation giving programs.
- Works in partnership with the Community Impact team to ensure donor intent is met and amplified while simultaneously allowing the Community Foundation to increase giving within its service areas.
- Leads a comprehensive fundraising campaign leading up to the Community Foundation’s 50th anniversary.
- Leads promotion and implementation of all complex gifts.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors, individual prospects, professional advisors (attorneys, accountants, financial advisors and planners), nonprofit and community groups by encouraging their giving to/through the Community Foundation.
- Remaining informed on legal and technical issues as they affect current and prospective donors and gifts and advising the Board and staff on these issues.
- Overseeing administrative operations of development and marketing initiatives by:
- Developing and managing annual department budgets.
- Ensuring the proper administration and stewardship of funds and gifts including charitable trusts, deferred gifts, gifts of property, and complex gifts.
- Managing processes for gift acceptance, acknowledgement and Fund administration.
- Developing, maintaining and updating fund policies and procedures in conjunction with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Overseeing the management of the donor database and Customer Relationship Management system that includes accurately tracking and recording all donor information, communications, and special requests while ensuring accurate data entry for prospect tracking and donor information.
- Working closely with the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications to develop marketing tools for all advancement initiatives and charitable giving programs and communicating new donor and fund development success to the Board of Directors, donors and the general community.
- Supporting the donor relations staff in developing and delivering donor engagement programming and developing strategies to involve current donors in Community Foundation programs through donor-leveraged grantmaking.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven years senior level experience in fundraising or in a closely related professional field required;
- Community foundation experience preferred;
- Campaign fundraising experience preferred;
- Certified Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy (CAP) designation is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to raise substantial funds from individuals, businesses, private foundations and other potential contributors;
- Strong knowledge of the full range of complex gifts, deferred giving vehicles and the tax laws related to charitable giving;
- High level of personal and professional integrity and ethics;
- Proven experience managing a staff of professional, including the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports, to participate in staff selection, provide or coordinate staff training and to provide timely, relevant, and accurate feedback related to performance;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), and ability to effectively utilize the Foundation’s core database, Foundation Information Management System (FIMS);
- A high degree of professionalism, confidence and flexibility that allows collaborative and effective relationships with constituents and colleagues of diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team environment.
Excellent benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, visit our website and submit a detailed cover letter and resume summarizing your experience and qualifications through the form below, or email Carolyn Derrico. No phone calls accepted.
Download a copy of the job description here.