The Miami-based John S. and James L. Knight Foundation promotes excellence in journalism worldwide and invests in the vitality of Palm Beach County and 25 other U.S. communities. The Knight Foundation established an endowed Donor Advised Fund at the Community Foundation in 1994, which generates income that is used for grants in Palm Beach County and enables us to respond quickly and flexibly to community needs. Projects that are supported address their grant making priorities of “Informed and Engaged Communities” and includes:
- Talent retention - developing, attracting and retaining young talent in the community
- Entrepreneurship - investing in the spaces and events where innovators, entrepreneurs, investors and academics can collide and connect
- Core-city vibrancy - created through activities and gatherings that represent the unique spirit of the community
Please note that the Knight Fund is restricted to Palm Beach County. The Knight Foundation Communities Program aims to support communities where the Knight brothers owned newspapers, including Palm Beach County.
- Activities outside the stated areas of interests
- Ongoing requests for general operating support, annual fundraising campaigns, fundraising dinners or operating deficits
- Activities that are normally the responsibility of government agencies
- Grants to individuals
- Medical research; organizations or projects whose mission is to prevent, eradicate and/or alleviate the effects of specific diseases; and requests from hospitals
- Activities that support religious faith; restricted to one religion or denomination; support of political candidates; or memorials
- Programs or projects that take place outside of the United States, or are conducted by organizations headquartered outside of the United States
- Capital campaign projects
For current Palm Beach County grant opportunities and a list of past recipients, please visit the Grants section of our website. For news about the Knight Foundation and other grant opportunities available throughout the year, please sign up for their e-newsletter.